homestead - Re: [Homestead] Verlyn enjoys November

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Verlyn enjoys November
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:38:35 -0500

Thank you also, Gene, for this piece.

We had just such a day here today.
Yesterday, there was fog everywhere, also Wednesday, when I went up the
mountain into Asheville to the hospital where my mother had knee
replacement surgery, the fog was dense.

Today, it turned grey about noon and then darker gray. Finally, about 3:30,
the rain started falling. It is coming down medium heavy now at almost 7
p.m. All the birds went to bed about 3, the dogs retreated to their houses
and we stoked the wood stove fire up some more. It is currently 38 degrees
and expected to get to 29 this evening. It was 29 when I got up this
morning.If it had rained then, we would have had freezing rain. We may
still have it by morning.

We're really not ready for winter. There are still windows which need to
have the second window closed. The basement wood stove is going but the bin
for wood next to it is nearly empty. There is a small pile of wood, mostly
pecan branches I've gathered as I walk to the mailbox and back, on the
front porch. The living room wood stove has boxes stacked in front of it
from a "clean out and rearrange" closets project. The pile is smaller as
things go back in but we can't start that wood stove yet. Perhaps tomorrow,
the pile will be attacked in earnest so we can warm up the house more.

It's time to start moving the big wood stacks to the basement and front
porch so we don't have to go out in weather like this. I've been off work
since about 2 Tuesday. It's going to be hard to go back at 8:30 Monday
morning!