homestead - Re: [Homestead] and "homesteading" :

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] and "homesteading" :
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:28:43 -0800

Gene replied :
> I've read most of Berry's stuff and I understand his psychological feelings
> about place, but I meant eating foods grown in the soil, fed by the water,
> air and sun of a particular piece of Earth is perhaps most salubrious to
> health. It would seem to have some logic that Nature nurtures the denizens
> of a certain place in a certain way. Of course there are some cautions,
> like too much selenium, or none, in the soil of a place. (snip)

What about the supremely stupid practice of
upsetting one's digestive system twice a
year with "daylight saving time" (saving
for *what* or whom ?) and the triple pollution
(air/water/soil) and unreported as well as
reported radioactive fallout, added to the
preservatives in "convenience foods" as
well as GMO-based non-convenience foods -
(although I'm sure the 'convenience foods
probably have *more* GMO content in *those*
packages) and voila !! (or to mangle Pogo's
observation ) :

" ... we have met the 'aliens' and they is *us*..."

Thanks for the Website, Gene, it helped
remind me about *Place* as I read it - it
wasn't Berry that wrote it, (my error) it was
Wallace Stegner, and I read an excerpt from
it in a magazine. The link to the excerpt and
the first paragraph follow :

http://www.mtbaker.wednet.edu/tlcf/The%20Sense%20of%20Place.htm<http://www.mtbaker.wednet.edu/tlcf/The%20Sense%20of%20Place.htm>

WALLACE STEGNER

The Sense of Place

(From The Sense of Place by Wallace Stegner. Copyright 1992 by Wallace
Stegner. Reprinted by permission of Random House, Inc.)

".......Back to Wendell Berry, and his belief that if you don't know where
you are you don't know who you are. He is not talking about the kind of
location that can be determined by looking at a map or a street sign. He is
talking about the kind of knowing that involves the senses, the memory, the
history of a family or a tribe. He is talking about the knowledge of place
that comes from working in it in all weathers, making a living from it,
suffering from its catastrophes, loving its mornings or evenings or hot
noons, valuing it for the profound investment of labor and feeling that you,
your parents and grandparents, your all-but-unknown ancestors have put into
it. He is talking about the knowing that poets specialize in."

And about Wendell Berry :

http://www.english.eku.edu/SERVICES/KYLIT/BERRY.HTM<http://www.english.eku.edu/SERVICES/KYLIT/BERRY.HTM>

excerpt :
Most of his farm was previously neglected, but Berry is fascinated with
making this abused land productive. Oddly, he does not have a modern toilet;
instead he has a clean white privy in the backyard. The wastes deposited
there are made into compost. Tractors are not used to plow his fields,
either. Berry uses a team of draft horses in replace of "Exhaust-stinking,
engine-roaring, gasoline-guzzling tractors" (11). Berry feels he is doing his
part by not harming the environment any further.