homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mangos

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mangos
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:47:45 -0800

Gene GeRue wrote:

It's so tempting to stretch your climate to the limits in search of
delicacies, but I'd rather grow stuff that's easily acclimated to my area
and can thrive on it's own-

I look forward to an attached greenhouse where I will experiment. About the only caution I take is that I think a person's health is somehow tied to their place and it is most healthful to eat the products of that place.

tvoivozhd---think about all the little shacks set over a spring, or just beyond the point where the spring emerges, that old-time small dairy farmers used to cool their milk. While they do cool things, they also warm up things to near-water temperature in winter. We have big springs, but one huge one that I idly thought about building a greenhouse over---it would be easy to grow mangoes, avocadoes, banananas and papayas inside---might not bear fruit in winter, but sure would in the summer, even in the Roanoke latitude---and would grow day-neutral strawberries year-around.