homestead - Re: [Homestead] Daniel and taxes again

  • From: C Russell <mtbetter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Daniel and taxes again
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:11:33 -0800 (PST)

Paul-

Common law in the Magna Carta refers to English law.
There were two kinds: common and civil. I believe
civil (legislated) was primarily ecclesiastical, but
I'm not sure about that. Anyway, there were no laws
as such that declared murder to be a crime, for
example. Judges ruled by common sense, following the
precedents set by earlier judges or judges of higher
courts. Rather than come up with a bunch of new laws,
the Magna Carta adopted the time-tested sense of
justice from common law. A study of American
jurisprudence always begins with common law. We
formalized much of common law.

Cathy (formerly in pa)

--- Paul Hillman <chris_hillman AT msn.com> wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> The 7th Amendment states that the "rules of the
> Common Law" shall apply as per the wording therein.
> The Common Law dates back to the Magna Carta from
> 1150?
>
> Thus, what are the rules of the common law?
>
> Paul Hillman

homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org<mailto:homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/mtbetter%40yahoo.com