homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shipping container portable houses, storage

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shipping container portable houses, storage
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 10:11:16 -0800

RayZentz AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 11/5/2004 9:44:10 AM Central Standard Time, shepperd AT austincc.edu writes:

have a 20' container that I use to store horse feed. It keeps out moisture
and dust, but not fire ants.

Would they work underground, say as a rootcellar?

tvoivozhd---the answer is a qualified yes---depending upon soil stability.---in expansive clay such as exists around Lake Livingston in Texas, I would expect the walls to belly in. In sand soil they wouldn't.
Subsurface gtoundwater should be considered. Shipping Containers are resistant to water as normally uised, but of course are not sealed against water pressure from below. They will work under a varying groundwater level, but like any other building, need to have gravel under them and from the gravel some means of draining the water downhill.. Wrap the container in 6-mil black builder's plastic for a cheap means of dirverting water down the walls into the gravel drain bed.