homestead - RE: [Homestead] Shipping container portable houses, storage

  • From: "WF Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Shipping container portable houses, storage
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:06:59 -0500

> Another question. Would it be possible to "connect" two or more
> of them?
> Side by side, over/under, lengthwise, or combinations of these?
>
> Ray

I have an eccentric friend who has taken a shine to these things. I'd guess
he has a dozen or more of them at his place. He stacked them two high in two
parallel rows. Then he set four of them spanning from row to row on top. He
rolled out some membrane roofing at the joints. This created for him a barn
with a 20' clear height interior bay, with stalls either side and ample hay
storage in the upper containers. He has been able to weld/mount hoist beams
and winches from the upper units to lift and work on equipment, and used his
torch to cut in doors and openings wherever he wanted for stalls and hay
bays.

It's probably one of the ugliest yet most functional structures I've seen.
He says if he gets tired of it, he'll restack them another way to suit his
purposes.

Short answer is "yes", you can connect them anyway you want, like a
habit-trail hampster rig as long as you can cut and weld steel.

Warren
---