homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sinclair Broadcasting

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sinclair Broadcasting
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:20:10 -0700

What hypocrasy. Many of you have been ranting and raving about how free speech is being denied, and now you want to deny it to others? Don't watch the ^%$^%$^ stuff, if you disagree with it, or make a fortune, buy up your own stations, and broadcast whatever you want. Michael Moore did it... Turnabout is fair play, in my opinion.

Seems to me the issue is the use of the public airwaves, which under our laws, belong to the citizens and may be used as prescribed by the Federal Communications Commission. Whether use of profanity or use for religious or political purposes, there are rules that control. Seems to me that is how such issues as this Sinclair production should be resolved.

Michael Moore made a movie with his own money. He didn't get any free time or space on the public airways.