homestead - Re: [Homestead] Without A Doubt

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Without A Doubt
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:46:17 -0700

RayZentz AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 10/18/2004 10:47:11 AM Central Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

''This is why George W. Bush is so clear-eyed about Al Qaeda and the
Islamic fundamentalist enemy. He believes you have to kill them
all. They can't be persuaded, that they're extremists, driven by a
dark vision. He understands them, because he's just like them. . . .

You know, this comment may be absolutely true. While I don't
necessarily believe it is so, assume for a minute that it is. Who
better to lead during a time of conflict against such extremists,
than another extremist. Four years later, our "extremist" will be
gone.

Ray

tvoivozhd---I would not have liked the task of "persuading" Yamamoto to get Japanese troops out of the Pacific Rim countries in WWII---unless you define "persuasion" as killing all the bastards. THAT WORKED!!. I despise solutions that by definition cannot work---and the proponents of non-workable solutions.

However, this is not a set-piece war. It is a guerrilla war with hundreds of thousands of unprofitable targets. These targets lie within other countries. If those countries do not regard them as an internal threat, they absolutely will not inconvenience them in any way, much less attack them---which means NO ONE will attack them where they live, organize, plan, train, and move out to attack U.S. citizens and property around the world.

We have a tiny number of cooperative countries (and some uncooperative ones) who fear their domestic guerrillas, and the incursion of foreign guerrillas enough to kill one or both WITHIN THEIR OWN BORDERS---and supply intelligence to the U.S. (for their own purposes), so we have the occasional opportunity to do the same. This can hardly be defined as a broad, united front against guerrillas. Being "clear-eyed" (something I seriously doubt in the Bush Administration), necessarily recognizes the U.S. cannot attack guerrillas outside our borders.

We have to operate within these limitations. It is unsatisfactory, but is the only option we have.. Non Bastardus Carborundum---try not to let the bastards wear us down.

And Ray is right, the most militarily stupid, the most environmentally-destructive, the most energy-insane of Presidents, even if re-elected, will depart the politial scene four years later.