homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable Net connection

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable Net connection
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:22:31 -0700

Lisa Perry wrote:

Gene GeRue wrote:

I'm interested in wireless connection options. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have another question regarding wireless connection. We want to have the new addition (and the old house) wireless ready so I can use my laptop, when I begin working and checking email from home. Neither my husband nor myself fully understand what going wireless entails, can someone please explain it--along with the options? Our electrician had not yet encountered wireless, we thought he'd have the answers. Thanks.

Lisa

tvoivozhd---there's wireless And wireless. For a totally wireless ISP connection, you will utilize an ISP that sends their broadband signal via wireless towers located at highest elevations and about thirty-mile intervals. Your best signals will be the result of line-of-sight from these wireless towers. Verizon will probably be the best option in SW Virginia, they will spend one billion dollars this year in converting from copper wire to wireless---making your cost more palatable by bundling other goodies such as television with wireless computer service. Have your electrician talk to Verizon about what to install and how to install equipment outside and inside your house---they may not be sufficiently informative about your computers, there I'd consult with the computer manufacturer or possibly the computer guru at Best Buy. Our Best Buy guru, a guy named Greg was fired because he was a rich source of disinformation and customer complaints. Haven't checked to see if his successer is competent and truthful.

Outside your house you will have an ISP-provided dish with cable to one or more house wall receptacles into which your computers can plug, or they may be wirelessly networked by a router that plugs into the wall receptacle, and its wireless signal sent from the router to computers, scanners, printers etc. via a router accessory such as "D-Link". Your computer should have in internal card for this purpose---I haven't put one in on this computer, but there is an internal wireless capability in a new Compaq laptop, and probably in my daughter's desktop computer. Haven't done anything about networking the computers and equipment here yet, because we will not have wireless broad band from Verizon here in Roanoke County until November. We will also have the option in November of receiving wireless broadband from our Craig-Botetourt electric utility. May elect to use the latter, since their tower closest to us will be at the top of the tallest mountain a mile or so behind the house. Signal should be exceptionally strong and reliable.