homestead - Re: [Homestead] Portable Net connection

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Portable Net connection
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:38:33 -0700

At 8/31/2004, you wrote:
I have another question regarding wireless connection. We want to have the new addition (and the old house) wireless ready so I can use my laptop, when I begin working and checking email from home. Neither my husband nor myself fully understand what going wireless entails, can someone please explain it--along with the options? Our electrician had not yet encountered wireless, we thought he'd have the answers. Thanks.

You need a wireless router wherever the wired signal makes it into the house. From there, there are no wires to run at all. Wireless makes more sense for lap tops and the like or for older construction where running network is a problems. For new construction I would run network cable all over the place along with phone, cable, and audio. Wires are cheap to add now.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com