homestead - [Homestead] Homestead vehicle choices

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homestead vehicle choices
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:43:14 -0700

We have generally taken a long time to select bargain vehicles, six months for the Nissan, which looks like it just came out of the box., and is eminently suitable for commuting as well as providing freight transport the Subaru Wagon could not.

I used to think a pickup truck was the ideal homestead vehicle. No more. For my real estate business here I leased a new 2002 Toyota Highlander. Wonderful vehicle. I will buy out the lease when I go home to Heartwood. Then I will have a trailer hitch installed and will buy a tilt trailer that will haul more than a pickup. That gives me a good vehicle for travel and light hauling without the limitations of a pickup truck for everyday use. One of my considerations is a dirt driveway with steep sections. An unloaded two-wheel-drive pickup tears hell out of the road and eats tires. A four-wheel-drive pickup gets worse mileage, costs more initially and for maintenance and is unneeded 99 percent of the time. A front-wheel drive SUV gets the ascent job done without tire slippage and will take a light trailer up and a loaded trailer down the hill. Many of my friends have two vehicles, a good-mileage small sedan plus a small pickup truck. The one-good-SUV-plus-a-trailer plan saves money on initial purchases, maintenance, insurance and licensing and is more comfortable and will carry more on trips.