gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] lemon tree

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] lemon tree
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:37:39 -0700

I suggest you visit http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/   They grow dwarf citrus.  I believe it is necessary to use a dwarfing rootstock if you plan on being successful growing any tree fruit in containers.

Root pruning can be much less drastic if only one side of a square container is root pruned each year.  The tree size can easily be maintained without a total loss of fruit.

In the field, there is a process of bringing limes almost to the permanent wilting point.  Easily enough to do in southern California where everything must be irrigated.  When irrigation and fertilizer is applied, the tree flushes with new growth and flowers, thus allowing the grower to obtain an out of season crop and higher prices.

Take cuttings prior to taking any action.  Citrus do grow on their own roots and generally don't require a mist propagation system, although it would be helpful.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

Dan Clost wrote:
Hi Duane,
I'm going along with Tom on this mainly because it coincides with experiences in our orchards and nursery.
We don't have citrus- too cold here *USDA 3- i think.  Peaches and apricots are considered to be 20 year trees if taken care of in the traditional/ old fashioned way. (If they're hard pruned and high fertilised they last considerably shorter but push out more fruit.)
However, top pruning and root pruning is not a bad idea- just take cuttings first.
Dan