gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Dumb Bunny

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Duane Campbell <dcamp911@juno.com>
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Dumb Bunny
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:23:55 -0400

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:21:19 -0700 "Lorraine Ballato" <ladygardener@msn.com> writes:

I would do everything I could to discourage the bunnies taking up residence anywhere near any vegetation you want to keep, unless you erect a 2 foot high rabbit fence that also goes at least a foot down (they're great diggers!).  They have turned out to be the most vexing varmints yet  They're so indiscriminate in their choice of feed that they eat everything

Really?  Then my rabbit must have an eating disorder. He regularly goes out to work in the garden with me, but he has never eaten anything out of the vegetable garden. He does like heuchera and impatiens blossoms and also wood sorrel. He won't eat the wood sorrel where it grows, but eagerly eats it if I pull it and bring it indoors.

At dinner time we have to feed the two cats on the counter. If their dishes are on the floor, the rabbit will shove them out of the way to get at cat food. The only vegetable he will eat is carrots, and then only if they come from a grocery store. I've tried to feed him carrots from my garden and he turns his nose up. I've even gone so far as to pull fresh carrots, wash them carefully, and put them in the plastic bag in the vegetable crisper in the frige when he wasn't looking, but he isn't fooled.

I got him a box of those chew toys for rabbits, soft wood shaped and perhaps flavored like carrots. He won't touch them, though he did eat the box they came in.

Anyway, not all rabbits are indiscriminate eaters, Lorraine.

I am Duane Campbell and I approve this message