gmark - Re: Critique of Gibson's Conference Paper

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Critique of Gibson's Conference Paper
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:45:17 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/02 9:50:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
eric.eve AT harris-manchester.oxford.ac.uk writes:

<< This argument is very odd. I should have thought that many people on this
list would imagine that paying attention to Greek grammar and the semantic
range of Greek words were fundamental prerequisites to determining what the
"obvious surface meaning" of a Greek text actually is >>

I do not mean to give you the impression that I thought that Greek grammar is
not important, for it surely was kept foremost in mind even by the very first
translators, and is still very important. My point is that the translators
then no doubt made heavy use of context, continuity, and common sense to rule
in or out possibly conflicting meanings, and that should remain the rule
today. In my opinion, too much emphasis is being placed on the grammar, and
not enough on context, continuity, and common sense. That is just my belief,
not fact, of course; there are surely those on this list who will say that I
am guilty of an imbalance of emphasis--that I am paying too much attention to
context, and not enough to grammar.

In the final analysis, the prevailing interpretation will be the one which
makes the most sense to the most people. The jury apparently is still out,
if we can judge this not only by the division of opinions offered by
contributors to this debate, but also the apparent lack of a firm opinion on
the part of the many other members of Kata Markon who have not yet
contributed their views on this matter. I would welcome incisive comments
from others, especially those who have earlier expressed general support for
Jeffrey Gibson's opinion, but have not yet addressed points I raised relating
to context and continuity.

As for all of your other forthright and thoughtful comments, Eric, I thank
you very much for them. I regret that I will not today be able to respond
fully to them. When I have time, I will give them the attention they deserve.

Regards,

Joe Alward

Joseph F. Alward, PhD (Solid State Physics)
Department of Physics
University of the Pacific
Stockton, California 95201
email: JFAlward AT aol.com