gmark - Re: Critique of Gibson's Conference Paper

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ralph Cox" <rmiltonc AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Critique of Gibson's Conference Paper
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:00:51 -0700

Giving EIS PERASMON

A minor note on this discussion of EIS PERASMON:

The account of the failing disciples in the garden is part of the larger motif of their failing to grasp the whole moment; failing to understand his warning, failing to keep watch, failing to defend him, failing to stay with him, and Peter even failing to avoid denying Jesus three times.

It is very clear that, after Jesus has told them to stand watch, his telling them to "not enter into temptation" means to "not fail in standing watch" and to "not give in to the temptation to sleep."

When Jesus returns and says KATEUDETE TO LOIPON, (literally "asleep [at] this moment"), he is saying "Your still asleep!", meaning "asleep on the job!", KAI ANAPAUESTHE, "and resting!", APEXE, "Enough!" This all means they all failed to avoid entering EIS PERASMON.

Ralph Cox rmiltonc AT hotmail.com 10-24-02