gmark - Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:55:08 EST

In a message dated 1/28/01 10:05:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
l9swain AT wmich.edu writes:

In reference to the article, "The Beheading of John the Baptist," in which I
analyze Dennis MacDonald's claims of a parallel between Homer and Mark, Larry
Swain noted that I wrote that "Victim's head falls among dishes," and that
this is not strictly true. He is correct. I've rewritten that entry in the
table; it now reads, "Victim's head is in contact with tableware."

All of the other great many differences Swain notes between the Homeric
traditional tale and Mark are quite obvious; there are literally hundreds of
other significant differences between other Homeric and Markan stories that
MacDonald discusses, but these differences are of no real consequence, as far
as I'm concerned. What matters is that a great many of the same ingredients,
or elements, appear--in this case, eleven--not that they're used in the same
way, or in the same order, or even that the messages in the parallels are
similar.

http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/john_baptist.html

Joe
Joseph F. Alward, Ph.D.