gmark - Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:11:14 -0600

John W Sweeley wrote:

re Isa 7 comments, Rikki has made a good point. Isa 7 is about - I think - virgin daughter JERUSALEM/ISRAEl no longer enjoying "people of God" status, due to the failure of King Ahaz to trust God. "GOD WITH US" refers now to the faithful remnant. So Matthew is announcing the birth of Jesus in these terms - the TRUE ISRAEL, true remnant etc. Matthew sets the verse in a context where Jesus is recapitulating the history of Israel - out of Egypt, through wilderness testing etc... Phil CampbellQueensland Australia I have been lurking on and off for a couple of months and as I am more a generalist have not felt qualified to enter into many debates.  However, I do have a few thoughts some of which have already been expressd by Joe and Phil.  If what follows below has already been covered or is inconsequential please hit your delete button.
[much snipped]

May I note that, as interesting as some might find this message, it would be more appropriate to the Synoptic-L List since it has little to do with things Markan. let alone the topic of the Homeric Epics and GMark..

Please remember our focus when posting as well as our protocol on changing subject headers when the topic and the substance of one's post no longer deals with what has been discussed under previous headers. .

I would also ask that posters try NOT to send posts in HTML. Pain text is more appropriate.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)