gmark - Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:02:50 -0800

Thanks Joe,

I find (your proposed reconstruction of) MacDonald's argument
interesting...but a little odd.

> MacDonald (page 170) notes that "Mark hid his dependence by avoiding Homeric
> vocabulary, transforming characterizations, motifs, and episodes, placing
> the
> episodes out of sequence, and employing multiple literary models, especially
> from Jewish scriptures. On the other hand, he left scores of flags
> signaling
> the reader to compare these stories with their models."

What exactly are these flags if they cannot be "Homeric vocabulary,
characterizations, motifs, and episodes"? And one wonders what kind of
flags these can be, if the very people, one presumes, for whom Mark was
leaving these 'scores of flags' quite utterly failed to see them? It raises
another question for me: who provides the best data for determining what
ancient readers would have seen: the good professor or the ancients
themselves?

Rikk