gmark - Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Phil Campbell" <philcam AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:55:52 +1000

PAA11358

Antonio makes several interesting points here. One comment on the idea th=
at
the apocalyptic imagery of Mark 13 can't refer to "mundane" things like t=
he
cross and the destruction of Jerusalem... why are they so "mundane"?
Particularly as in early Christian thought, the cross is seen to be the
centrepoint of the apocalyptic battle between God and Satan. Besides this=
,
when I introduced the idea in this discussion thread that the Mark 13 tex=
was pointing ahead to the cross and the destruction of Jerusalem, I
identified NARRATIVE CLUES in the gmark text that gave rise to this. It'=
all very well to say "first centry Christians believed THIS so it must be
THIS..." - but there are so many narrative links from Mark 13 to the
following chapters that there MUST be continuity of thought. Especially
notice the time notes - will it be cock-crow, dawn etc - are ALL identifi=
ed
in the following narrative, leaving the reader asking "is it going to be
NOW?" The "stay awake and keep watch" motif is another from Mark 13 that =
is
picked up almost immediately in the Gethsemane narrative. There are more.

Is sensitivity to the narrative no longer in fashion?

Phil Campbell