gmark - Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Doug Jantz <dwjantz AT swbell.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 06:57:50 -0600

MY apologies. I forgot to leave off my sigfile at the end of my previous
note.
It is now off. Doug

"Professor L.W. Hurtado" wrote:

> Then too, the author of Mark certainly knew that the Son of Man
> had not come apocalyptically by the time when he wrote. And I
> take Mark to have been written after the destruction of the temple,
> which explains why it plays such a crucial role in the account here.

I still have to ask and wonder about this. Does this "coming" have to be
literal? Is it not a coming in judgment? I see in the OT several "comings"
referring to judgment, not literal. The presence of Yahweh or Jesus was/is
seen
in the judgment on the wicked nation(s).

> Well, it does seem likely that the author of Mark expected/hoped
> for the coming of the Son of Man sooner than has proven to be the
> case!! But, on the other hand, the dominant thrust of chap 13 is to
> REFUTE and DISCOURAGE any notion that the end is immediate
> (13:5-8, 10, 13b, 21-23), but must be preceded by (1) all sorts of
> traumas that are merely what characterizes an indefinite time
> period (the single most repeated theme is warning against being
> led astray and alarmed at the distasters), and (2) by the preaching
> of the gospel to all nations (13:10, the only thing that functions as
> the essential condition for the "end", viz. the "dei").
> I quite agree that theological concerns must not be allowed to
> govern what one is or is not prepared to see in a text. But I also
> hold that patient and careful close reading of a text is essential.

These last 2 sentences are great. I agree and thank you for reminding us of
this.

Doug

> L. W. Hurtado
> University of Edinburgh,
> New College
> Mound Place
> Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
> Phone: 0131-650-8920
> Fax: 0131-650-6579
> E-mail: L.Hurtado AT ed.ac.uk
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to gmark as: dwjantz AT swbell.net

Doug

Douglas Jantz
1304 E. Republic Rd. #180
Springfield, Missouri 65804

dwjantz AT swbell.net

begin:vcard
n:Jantz;Douglas
tel;cell:417.353.2500
tel;fax:417.886.0450
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://home.swbell.net/dwjantz
org:Chemsearch
adr:;;1304 E. Republic Rd. #180;Springfield;Missouri;65804;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dwjantz AT swbell.net
title:Sales Representative
fn:Douglas Jantz