gmark - Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:24:08 -0800

Title: Re: gmark digest: January 03, 2001
It seems a forced interpretation of "ALL these things" to refer exclusively to the temple. I made bold the "all" because on a purely literary level it does seem to suggest every thing that has previously been mentioned in this discourse.

Also, the idea of this passage referring to Jesus' enthronement, and not to the second coming isn't convincing. Its hard (not impossible, perhaps, but I think you have to jump through a few hoops) to take this passage as speaking of anything short of the end of time...

"But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light,
and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.
   -obvious apocalyptic imagery
And then they will see the Son of man coming in clouds with great power and glory.
And then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.
"
       -Yes, borrowed from Dan 7, which is a very apocalyptic source. The context here suggested something that the implied reader will see as in the future, not the past (as would be if it were only the enthronement being spoken of).

So I still hold with the idea (and this isn't anything new or particularly revolutionary) that Mark's Jesus is here making a mistake  regarding the timing surrounding the end of the world. It seems to me to be the most honest and straight forward reading. (A reading Albert Schweitzer would be happy with)

I suggested this is really an issue of christology. Paul believed Christ was without sin (2 Cor. 5:21), as did the writer to the Hebrews (Hebrews 4:15), yet no where are we told that any believed him "without mistake". Once again - an issue of christology.

Peace