freetds - Re: [freetds] missing libtdsodbc.so

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "JENNI WOLGAST" <JWOLGAST AT healthplus.org>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] missing libtdsodbc.so
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:59:47 -0400

** Proprietary **

James,

I have FreeTDS built and tsql works just fine. I went through the User Manual
installation instructions and configured everything for the ODBC-combined
option and thought everything was going fine until I tried the isql
connection and it died with [IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name
not found. So I went back through the odbc.ini file and noticed the driver
information I had just copied from the User Manual listed the driver path as
/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so and that I had chosen to just install
FreeTDS to /usr/local instead of putting it in a new folder. So I went in and
removed freetds from the driver path and it still bombed with the same error.
So then I started looking for libtdsodbc.so and found that it didn't exist
anywhere on my system. That's when I tried re-installing each part several
more times including trying to use the /usr/local/unixODBC and
/usr/local/freetds folders as installation destinations but nothing so far
has produced a libtdsodbc.so file I can point to in odbc.ini...

Thanks for your help by the way!!!

Jenni

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit,
disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the
copy you received. Thank you.

JENNI WOLGAST wrote:
> I might give DBD::Sybase a try when I get to that point. For right now
> though I cannot even get the FreeTDS part working. Thanks for the
> suggestion though!

Jenni,

Just to be clear, if you use DBD::Sybase, you don't need unixODBC or
libtdsodbc.so. Here's one way to go about the whole process:

Once you've built FreeTDS (with or without libtdsodbc.so), edit your
freetds.conf and connect with tsql. (I like to have my freetds.conf in
${HOME}/.freetds.conf. It's easier to change.) If you have difficulty,
please see Troubleshooting in the User Guide. You can always post your
freetds.conf here if all else fails.

Once you have a working system, you can always go back and reconfigure for
ODBC if that didn't work the first time. If you do, I suggest you use
ODBC-Combined because it leverages your freetds.conf. You should test
your connection with isql.

Setting up ODBC can be challenging the first time. If you want to, you
can extract my script src/apps/osql from any recent snapshot tarball. It
parses the various configuration files and tries to report what's wrong.
If everything seems OK, it invokes isql for you.

Once you have your basic FreeTDS setup working, you can add the
appropriate Perl modules:

1. DBI
2. DBD::ODBC and/or DBD::Sybase

HTH.