freetds - Re: [freetds] missing libtdsodbc.so

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] missing libtdsodbc.so
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:38:25 -0400

JENNI WOLGAST wrote:
> I might give DBD::Sybase a try when I get to that point. For right now
> though I cannot even get the FreeTDS part working. Thanks for the
> suggestion though!

Jenni,

Just to be clear, if you use DBD::Sybase, you don't need unixODBC or
libtdsodbc.so. Here's one way to go about the whole process:

Once you've built FreeTDS (with or without libtdsodbc.so), edit your
freetds.conf and connect with tsql. (I like to have my freetds.conf in
${HOME}/.freetds.conf. It's easier to change.) If you have difficulty,
please see Troubleshooting in the User Guide. You can always post your
freetds.conf here if all else fails.

Once you have a working system, you can always go back and reconfigure for
ODBC if that didn't work the first time. If you do, I suggest you use
ODBC-Combined because it leverages your freetds.conf. You should test
your connection with isql.

Setting up ODBC can be challenging the first time. If you want to, you
can extract my script src/apps/osql from any recent snapshot tarball. It
parses the various configuration files and tries to report what's wrong.
If everything seems OK, it invokes isql for you.

Once you have your basic FreeTDS setup working, you can add the
appropriate Perl modules:

1. DBI
2. DBD::ODBC and/or DBD::Sybase

HTH.