freetds - [freetds] Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brett <generica AT email.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Named Instances
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:51:00 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

As part of porting our software from linux to win32, we have to switch from Postgresql to MS SQL. I've been investigating using freedts to talk to sql server, but hit upon problems because named instances weren't implemented. Then noticed that they were available in cvs, and here I am.

I'm just wondering how to get this to work, since it doesn't seem to be fully implemented. I was expecting there to be a tds_set_instance() call, but that doesn't exist yet. And setting the instance name in freetds.conf doesn't seem to work, from tsql, probably for that reason. Does this mean (for now) you have to manually set it in the *TDSCONNECTION ?

Would I be better off writing the code to implement tds_set_instance() and submitting it, or am I on the wrong track.

thanks,

/ Brett Pemberton