freetds - RE: [freetds] Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Named Instances
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:58:31 +0200

> Hi,
>
> As part of porting our software from linux to win32, we have
> to switch
> from Postgresql to MS SQL. I've been investigating using

Why not Postgresql on windows (the "we have to" seems a bit strong to
me) ?

> freedts to talk
> to sql server, but hit upon problems because named instances weren't
> implemented. Then noticed that they were available in cvs,
> and here I am.

Well, instances are just different server that run on different port.
Asking to administrator for instance port will fix all your problems.

> I'm just wondering how to get this to work, since it doesn't
> seem to be
> fully implemented. I was expecting there to be a
> tds_set_instance() call,
> but that doesn't exist yet. And setting the instance name in
> freetds.conf
> doesn't seem to work, from tsql, probably for that reason.
> Does this mean
> (for now) you have to manually set it in the *TDSCONNECTION ?
>
> Would I be better off writing the code to implement
> tds_set_instance() and
> submitting it, or am I on the wrong track.

Current CVS support named instance (TODOs involve only documentation I
tested even on cluster environment). Use "instance" option on
freetds.conf and Server=host\instance syntax for ODBC (freetds.conf-less
and dsn-less).

bye