freetds - RE: [freetds] Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brett <generica AT email.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Named Instances
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:11:14 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

Hi,

As part of porting our software from linux to win32, we have
to switch
from Postgresql to MS SQL. I've been investigating using

Why not Postgresql on windows (the "we have to" seems a bit strong to
me) ?

Like every 'we have to', this is because someone higher up the food chain than me has made this decision and will not be swayed. Yes, if I had my way, I'd simply use psql8 on windows.

freedts to talk
to sql server, but hit upon problems because named instances weren't
implemented. Then noticed that they were available in cvs,
and here I am.

Well, instances are just different server that run on different port.
Asking to administrator for instance port will fix all your problems.

I'm just wondering how to get this to work, since it doesn't
seem to be
fully implemented. I was expecting there to be a
tds_set_instance() call,
but that doesn't exist yet. And setting the instance name in
freetds.conf
doesn't seem to work, from tsql, probably for that reason.
Does this mean
(for now) you have to manually set it in the *TDSCONNECTION ?

Would I be better off writing the code to implement
tds_set_instance() and
submitting it, or am I on the wrong track.

Current CVS support named instance (TODOs involve only documentation I
tested even on cluster environment). Use "instance" option on
freetds.conf and Server=host\instance syntax for ODBC (freetds.conf-less
and dsn-less).

Since posting, I found that the freetds.conf was working, but this server=host\instance sounds much better.

Can I then guess that using

tds_set_server(login, "servername\instance");

will work ?

if so, perfect

thanks,

/ Brett