freetds - [freetds] Re: Domain Auth to MS SQL - PHP/FreeTDS 0.61

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: Domain Auth to MS SQL - PHP/FreeTDS 0.61
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:59:26 +0200

On Apr 5, 2005, at 0:01, MAURICIO, LAURA D. (JSC-SM) (MEI) wrote:

2. We don't have the file /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so; instead we're using
/usr/lib/libtds.so

Well, you can't just substitute any other random file for something even if the names are somewhat similar; so this is your problem. :-)

3. Finally, we rebuilt freeTDS like ./configure --with-iodbc=/usr/local/lib
--disable-libiconv. And there was an error: the file isql.h was not found.
Questions:
1. Do we need to use --with-iodbc=/usr/local/lib? If so, where is the file
isql.h supposed to be? We even copied the file to where it was looking for
it - no luck!

This is the one you need to solve first of all. Where iODBC and its header files are depends on whether you installed iODBC from source or if you are using a package as supplied by your Linux distribution. It would be a good start to know where you got that iODBC from and what kind of Linux distribution this is. The ones I'm familiar with ship with unixODBC rather than iODBC.

Either way, you are supposed to specify the root path of your iODBC installation to --with-iodbc, which should either be /usr for a distro-supplied copy or /usr/local otherwise. Don't specify subdirectories such as lib/.

Normally the FreeTDS configure script is able to automatically detect your ODBC installation, that you had to specify --with-iodbc by hand is a clue that something's amiss. It's a common problem with system-supplied copies of unixODBC or iODBC that the header files weren't installed by default, and you also need to install a separate -devel package to get them, for example unixODBC-devel on Red Hat/Fedora Core.

Your configuration files and test script looks OK at a quick glance, other than the obvious problem in odbc.ini of not using libtdsodbc.so.

I hope you've just copied the subject line from that old unrelated 2003 message and aren't actually experimenting with FreeTDS 0.61. That's a terribly old version by now.

And finally I've just noticed that you didn't even say Linux, only generic term Unix, well, most of the same things apply anyway.

--
fds