freetds - Re: [freetds] Solaris linking

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Alex S Moore <asmoore AT edge.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Solaris linking
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:28:42 -0600

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 12:13 -0500, entropy AT freetds.org wrote:
> I don't use Solaris much. But from what I recall from a few years back,
> the base system ships with a broken "ld" that isn't much good for
> anything besides basic kernel customization. When you install the
> unbundled compiler (Forte or whatever it's called these days), you get a
> linker that actually works. Or, you can probably install GNU binutils
> instead, and use their linker.

I do not think 'broken ld' is true for the utilities in /usr/ccs. Never
use the utilities in /usr/ucb, as they are known to be broken.

I am part of a group that provides over 900 open source packages to the
Solaris community and I quite certain that we all use /usr/ccs/bin/ld.
If GNU ld were on our build hosts, the name should be gld, and that file
does not exist. The make program is the maintainer's preference or what
works. We use either Solaris make, /usr/ccs/bin/make, or GNU make
called gmake. For freetds, I use gmake.

> Alex, what is the full path to the "ld" you're using?
/usr/ccs/bin/ld.

Alex