freetds - RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "B. Bell" <bradleyb AT u.washington.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:38:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Lowden, James K wrote:

> > I have MS SQL server running on win2k, in
> > a win2k domain. We have no NT workstations in our domain, so
> > all "legacy" protocols and such have been disabled.
>
> What means "legacy"? And remind me, you're using 0.61 or later?

Mainly I mean netbios and possibly the older versions of NTLM
authentication.
I'm using freetds 0.61.2 now.

> We speak tcp/ip only, no named pipes. We should be able to perform a domain
> login via tcp/ip to a W2K server.

I use tcp/ip from the win2k workstations as well, so that shouldn't be the
problem. I'm starting to suspect NTLM though.

> > Whenever I try to get domain logins working, I get the error: "Login
> > failed for user 'example'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
> > Server connection"
>
> (The username is really 'example', right?)

well, no. I was just copying the message out of the user's guide. Right
now it always says '(null)' if I use the form domain\user or if I have
"try domain login = yes" in freetds.conf.

> If this fails, I think folks here would like to see you TDSDUMP log:
>
> $ tsql -S servername -U 'domain\example' -P password

I will do that. How do I strip out the password information from the
TDSDUMP file, if necessary?

-Brad