freetds - Re: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:41:36 -0500

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:31:53PM +0200, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> > > What does it mean "legacy" protocols ? TCP/IP is installed by defaults..

> > Mainly I mean netbios, and I believe the older versions of NTLM
> > authentication are disabled.

> I don't thing MS still use netbios.... netbios is not installed by
> default in w2k (it's installed TCP/IP... the unix standard), also
> ADO.NET use TCP/IP by default to connect to mssql...

NetBIOS != NetBEUI. NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol implemented
directly on top of ethernet; NetBIOS refers to that payload in general,
which has been implemented on top of other protocols, including TCP/IP.
Ports 139/tcp, 138/udp, and 137/udp are netbios endpoints on MS
machines.

To make matters more confusing, the standard payload of NetBIOS is SMB
(aka CIFS), which now has its own tcp port in Win2K and later
implementations (port 445). NetBIOS is still supported, however, for
compatibility with pre-Win2K clients.

The only Microsoft OS I'm aware of that didn't support NetBIOS by
default was Win98 OSR2, which required you to install (but did not
require you to enable) the NetBEUI protocol driver in order to get
support for file/printer sharing.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer