freetds - RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:56:04 +0200

> > Another way is to leave all blank and use "domain\username"
> syntax for
> > user.
>
> I like that idea. If the username has either of the the forms:
>
> domain\username
> \\domain\username
>
> we know to use a domain login. If there's an "nt domain"
> entry, we know to use a domain login. Else we use a normal
> server login. That's unambiguous, nonredundant, and declarative.

And already in CVS (from 0.60, I think... perhaps not well
documented...)
IMHO \\domain\username is not as good cause it usually refer to file
names, not username.

> Microsoft logins may contain a '/', so we can't easily
> support "domain/username".

Why '/' ? '\\' is not good ?

> > IMHO it's not difficult to change this stuff... We should decide a
> > method, patch (documentation and code) for 0.62 release...
>
> Agreed. Is there any reason to continue to call it "experimental"?

In all tests I did it run (I never change a line...) so it work...
So, we should remove "try server login", "try domain login" and "domain"
entry from FreeTDS (I suggest to leave and document as obsolete)