freetds - RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "B. Bell" <bradleyb AT u.washington.edu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Domain Login Support, connecting to MSSQL issue
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, ZIGLIO Frediano wrote:
> > Which brings me to my problem: I have MS SQL server running on win2k,
> > in a win2k domain. We have no NT workstations in our domain, so all
> > "legacy" protocols and such have been disabled. Should this be a
> > problem with freetds? Whenever I try to get domain logins working,
> > I get the error: "Login failed for user 'example'. Reason: Not
> > associated with a trusted SQL Server connection" The server is in
> > Mixed Mode, and server logins work fine. (and domain logins work fine,
> > from win2k workstations)
>
> Hi!
>
> What does it mean "legacy" protocols ? TCP/IP is installed by defaults..

Mainly I mean netbios, and I believe the older versions of NTLM
authentication are disabled.

> Assuming your server name is foo and you have tcp/ip configured in mssql
> $ telnet foo 1433
> (should connect, press some key to disconnect)

bbell@pokey:~$ telnet sqlserver 1433
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to sqlserver.css.washington.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> Connection closed.

> $ export TDSVER=7.0
> $ export TDSPORT=1433
> $ tsql -Sfoo '-Udomain\username'

bbell@pokey:~$ tsql -Ssqlserver '-Ucss\bbell'
locale is "C"
charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
Password:
Msg 18452, Level 14, State 1, Server , Line 0
Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.
Msg 20014, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Login incorrect.
There was a problem connecting to the server

hmm, why does it say user '(null)'??
using -Ucss\\bbell does the same thing.

-brad