freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: \connect: Unable to install message callback

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: \connect: Unable to install message callback
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 01:20:07 -0600

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:02:16PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:03:15 -0600, Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 06:59:11PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Is it ok to move the newly-added _cslibmsg_cb element to the end of the
> > structure (preserving binary compatibility), or is it time to bump the
> > SONAME of libct.so?

> My feeling is we should bump the SONAME of any library as soon as it's
> changed after a release, then hold it steady until released. A comment by
> the change should indicate "for release 0.61" (in this case), so that the
> next person tempted to bump the number knows whether or not it's
> necessary.

"As soon as it's changed" -> "as soon as the ABI changes"? If so, I
agree that sounds like a good policy.

> How in the dickens did spot that, anyway?

Brute force... :)

It turns out that the callback message constants changed at the same
time as the structure did, so I think bumping the soname is the correct
action here. I'll go ahead and do so.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer