freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: \connect: Unable to install message callback

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: \connect: Unable to install message callback
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:02:16 -0500

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:03:15 -0600, Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 06:59:11PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> Is it ok to move the newly-added _cslibmsg_cb element to the end of the
> structure (preserving binary compatibility), or is it time to bump the
> SONAME of libct.so?

My feeling is we should bump the SONAME of any library as soon as it's
changed after a release, then hold it steady until released. A comment by
the change should indicate "for release 0.61" (in this case), so that the
next person tempted to bump the number knows whether or not it's
necessary.

I think that policy is least confusing and least prone to forgetting to
bump what needs to be bumped. It won't always save the CVS tracker, but
it might have saved you in this case.
How in the dickens did spot that, anyway?