freetds - RE: Problem with Sybase

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Problem with Sybase
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:25:13 -0400

Frediano,

Earlier you wrote:

"After a bit of time I think Sybase extend log and continue... program
finish with success... and subsys file under /opt/sybase-11.9.2 became
bigger and bigger (yesterday was 61MB, now 62)."

Does that mean that your transaction log is 61 MB?

>From what you're saying, it sounds like there's an open transaction. The
log cannot be truncated until the transaction is committed. What says "DBCC
OPENTRAN tempdb" ?

Two possibilities:

1. a goof on your end, failing to commit a transaction.
2. a bug in FreeTDS, causing the transaction to be left open when it
shouldn't be.

#2 could be libtdb or in odbc.

If you can't find the source of the open transaction, you can kill all the
client connections ("kill <spid>"). That should do it. Else reboot the
server.

If there is no open transaction before running 0014, and 0014 is exhausting
your tempdb log, then we have to look for a FreeTDS bug, methinks. I'll see
if I can reproduce it. TDS 7.0 and current CVS?

out such orders and/or instructions.