freetds - Re: How to compile SQSH with FreeTDS .60?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How to compile SQSH with FreeTDS .60?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:42:42 -0400

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:58:32 -0700, "Jay Sauls" <jaysauls AT hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Oops! Sorry, I misspoke:
>
> Using sqsh -S jays -U jays -I /home/jays/freetds.conf still gives:
> "Server jays not found!"
>
> So it looks like sqsh isn't using the freetds.conf under any
> circumstances?

Jay,

I sure hope you're enjoying this. :)

The application, be it sqsh or tsql, doesn't typically control which
freetds.conf is used or how it's parsed (except tsql can bypass it, of
course). If tsql can connect to servername "jays", then libtds is on the
job.

As Steve said, sqsh's '-I' parameter is for an old-fashioned "interfaces"
file format. Rather than try to coerce sqsh into using the right file,
I'd rather have sqsh rely entirely on FreeTDS to find and use the
freetds.conf.

If you're not sure sqsh is using the right file, set TDSDUMPCONFIG.
FreeTDS will write a log file describing the source of the configuration
it used.

You can also test a standard login to Sybase's public server:

[tsql|sqsh] -S JDBC -U guest -P sybase

as another way to isolate things.

Steve mentioned 0.60.1. Is that what you're using? Just to double check.

I'm a little puzzled. As long as you're using the right version and sqsh
is linked to it, you should have the same results Steve got. It's too bad
the prelogin logging doesn't show the login attempt. That would make it
crystal clear.

If you're sure everything is spot on, then the next thing to do, I guess,
is to send us tcpdump(1) output of the login attempt. That's not my first
choice and it won't be fun to look at, but it's bound to turn up
something.

Regards,