freetds - Re: tsql infected with GPL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • Subject: Re: tsql infected with GPL
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:10:14 -0400

At 1:04 PM -0500 9/27/2002, Steve Langasek wrote:
Are you saying that Eben Moglen has claimed that dynamic linking to GPL
code does not bring with it the requirement that the application be
made available under the GPL? I've never heard any such statement from
anyone affiliated with the FSF; it's quite clear to me that it is the
intention of the GPL's framers that such could *should* be covered by the
GPL.

<http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4528760742.html>

It doesn't appear exactly as I thought it did, but it gives some good points about the reality of law/courts and the GPL. The most telling quote to me is:

"This reading of the GPL has become so prevalent in the past year that Stallman's opinion on the matter is largely irrelevant. The GPL has effectively merged with the industry standard reading of derivatives in US software law."

There's plenty of backing evidence for this (that linking to something does not make your product a derivative product), but like I said, I'm not willing to risk my business on it. I want to hear it from the courts or the FSF before I'm willing to work with/on GPL code.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin