freetds - Re: tsql infected with GPL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tsql infected with GPL
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:55:48 -0500

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 03:46:05PM -0400, Lowden, James K wrote:
> [...]

It's portable enough, but I believe the license text you quote below is
no more GPL compatible than OpenSSL's is. It has a rather steep
advertising requirement, in that *any* derived work must mention its
origins in *all* material referencing the derived work.

However, the file in question happens to be from RFC 1320, and using the
text of RFC 1320 as a launching point for an MD4 reimplementation seems
safe enough. This is an approach I'm currently considering.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer