freetds - Re: tsql infected with GPL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tsql infected with GPL
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:04:10 -0500

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:23:45PM -0400, Mark J. Lilback wrote:
> At 5:08 PM +0100 9/27/2002, Shanmugham, Abilash (London) wrote:
> >Why the GPL promotes more open source

> >http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

> Because there are many of us who can't (and/or won't) work on GPL
> projects until Stallman finally agrees with everyone else (including
> his lawyer) that dynamic linking to GPL code does not infect the
> programs that link to it.

Are you saying that Eben Moglen has claimed that dynamic linking to GPL
code does not bring with it the requirement that the application be
made available under the GPL? I've never heard any such statement from
anyone affiliated with the FSF; it's quite clear to me that it is the
intention of the GPL's framers that such could *should* be covered by the
GPL.

In any case, though I'm a GPL proponent in general, I happen to agree
that it's not an appropriate license given the goals of the FreeTDS
project.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer