freetds - Re: Help Compiling and installing on OS X 10.1.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Help Compiling and installing on OS X 10.1.5
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:33:00 -0400

> At 11:57 AM -0700 6/20/2002, Jay Van Vark wrote:
> >AWESOME )> THNAKS!!!
> >
> >Now - I have hit one more step... Once I get everything compiled and
> >installed - I try to use a datasource with the TDS Driver I get...
> >
> >[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib
> >'/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so' : not a Mach-O MH_BUNDLE file type
> >
> >Any ideas...?
>
> This is an issue with many unix ports to Mac OS X. Basically, .so
> files won't work. You need a dylib or a framework.
>
> I've got a framework working fine, but only with libtds and libdb, no
> odbc or ctlib. Once I get those added to it and working, I was
> planning on adding it to the cvs repository.
>
> Brian & others -- suggestions? A pb project is a directory with a
> couple of files in it. Where should I put it? Should we have a folder
> for platform-specific stuff?
>
> I don't know enough about autoconf, make, etc. to actually make the
> changes to compile a dylib, though I've done it by hand before.
> Looking in my notes, here are the commands I used inside each src
> sub-directory. you can try similar commands until you get a dylib
> created, then stick it in the same place as the .so files (changing
> the paths to the libtool commands to be the paths where you are
> installing them).

A better question is...is it just that libtool/autoconf haven't progressed
to supporting this yet? Will the next version? really libtool should be
doing whatever it takes to build the libraries so we don't have to worry
about it. Since OSX is such a new platform, maybe they haven't caught up
yet?

I'd say we could have a src/arch/osx directory for platform specific
stuff, but I'd really like to rip it out again if libtool does start
working out of the box.