freetds - Re: Help Compiling and installing on OS X 10.1.5

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Jay Van Vark <jay AT vanvark.net>
  • Subject: Re: Help Compiling and installing on OS X 10.1.5
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:28:11 -0400

At 11:57 AM -0700 6/20/2002, Jay Van Vark wrote:
AWESOME )> THNAKS!!!

Now - I have hit one more step... Once I get everything compiled and
installed - I try to use a datasource with the TDS Driver I get...

[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib
'/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtdsodbc.so' : not a Mach-O MH_BUNDLE file type

Any ideas...?

This is an issue with many unix ports to Mac OS X. Basically, .so files won't work. You need a dylib or a framework.

I've got a framework working fine, but only with libtds and libdb, no odbc or ctlib. Once I get those added to it and working, I was planning on adding it to the cvs repository.

Brian & others -- suggestions? A pb project is a directory with a couple of files in it. Where should I put it? Should we have a folder for platform-specific stuff?

I don't know enough about autoconf, make, etc. to actually make the changes to compile a dylib, though I've done it by hand before. Looking in my notes, here are the commands I used inside each src sub-directory. you can try similar commands until you get a dylib created, then stick it in the same place as the .so files (changing the paths to the libtool commands to be the paths where you are installing them).

libtool -install_name /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib -dynamic -current_version 1.0.0 -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -dylib_file libtds.dylib:/usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib -lz -lc -o libtds.dylib mem.o token.o util.o login.o read.o write.o convert.o numeric.o config.o /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a

libtool -install_name /usr/local/freetds/lib/libsybdb.dylib -dynamic -current_version 1.0.0 -compatibility_version 1.0.0 -dylib_file libsybdb.dylib:/usr/local/freetds/lib/libsybdb.dylib -lz -lc -o libsybdb.dylib bcp.o dblib.o dbutil.o rpc.o xact.o /usr/lib/libcc_dynamic.a /usr/local/freetds/lib/libtds.dylib

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin