freetds - RE: Roadmap to 0.54?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Roadmap to 0.54?
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:03:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Lowden, James K wrote:

> [...]

Thanks jim, unfortunately I answered too!

> Once Brian is done with Bill's patch, I think a release is the next logical
> step. There are bound to be some nits and wrinkles immediately ahead,
> though, because a lot of new code has gone in recently. We should give
> people some time to try it out before we call the current snapshot a release
> candidate.

I'm thinking a 0.54pre1 would be in order, with a follow up in a month or
less.

> Brian suggested the next release be 0.60, so that's probably how we should
> think of it.

Let's look at the list of changes. I have a patch in queue that will make
our ODBC driver work with odbc++ which is a huge step forward, but I was
really hoping to have domain support and TDS 8 worked out before then.
sigh.

> I have a goofy notion that we should count the remaining unimplemented API
> functions, subtract that number (divided by 100) from 1.0, and number the
> releases that way from here on out. So, if there are 35 functions still to
> do, we're at 0.65. I like the idea of a countdown, and it would give
> people, on this list and off, a measure of the status.

Not a bad idea, but some of the functions have partial implementations.
Perhaps a "hit list" of API functions/partials would help too, and give
people looking to pitch in an easy place to start.

> We have a few small chores to do, too. We should solve the MAXPATHLEN
> autoconf (?) problem. I could add an #ifndef, but I'm hoping for an
> intelligent answer.

Wanna jog my memory on this one?

> I'm looking at using the sourceforge build farm to help
> flush out architecture gotchas. Brian always puts together a release notice
> to describe what's changed; to make that easier, it would be nice if someone
> could compile a list of changes since 0.53.
>
> Also, there were a few minor bug reports recently that I think should be
> fixable. Which reminds me. I'd like to change the UG and FAQ such that
> they suggest putting bug/problem reports (and patches) on sourceforge, with
> mail to the list as notification/amplification. I think the sf database
> would be easier to work from than scanning and rescanning my email. How do
> others feel about that?

Ok by me.

Cheers,

Brian