freetds - RE: Roadmap to 0.54?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andre Costa <brblueser AT uol.com.br>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: LowdenJK AT bernstein.com
  • Subject: RE: Roadmap to 0.54?
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:35:51 -0300

Hi James,

good to hear from you again. Thks for the reply. My comments below.

> I'll answer that, only to save Brian some typing.
>
> Once Brian is done with Bill's patch, I think a release is the next
> logical step. There are bound to be some nits and wrinkles immediately
> ahead, though, because a lot of new code has gone in recently. We
> should give people some time to try it out before we call the current
> snapshot a release candidate.

100% agreed. IMHO this is the way to go. Again, I am not putting pressure,
just wondering when the next version would come considering so much is
being done these days. Just keep the pace and you should be fine ;)

> Brian suggested the next release be 0.60, so that's probably how we
> should think of it.
>
> I have a goofy notion that we should count the remaining unimplemented
> API functions, subtract that number (divided by 100) from 1.0, and
> number the releases that way from here on out. So, if there are 35
> functions still to do, we're at 0.65. I like the idea of a countdown,
> and it would give people, on this list and off, a measure of the
> status.

Wow... never heard of these metrics before! =) I like the idea of a
countdown, but this could put you guys in a complicated position should
the 1.0 mark be approached and you find out that you would need extra
steps...

[...]
> Also, there were a few minor bug reports recently that I think should be
> fixable. Which reminds me. I'd like to change the UG and FAQ such that
> they suggest putting bug/problem reports (and patches) on sourceforge,
> with mail to the list as notification/amplification. I think the sf
> database would be easier to work from than scanning and rescanning my
> email. How do others feel about that?

I second that. Never used them "on the other side" (i.e. as a developer),
but I have used quite a few of these bug-tracking systems, and they always
seemed to be a reasonable way of keeping a minimum level of organization.

> Anyone see any reason we couldn't have a release ready in June?

Seems reasonable for all I've been seeing, just make sure you don't rush
things unnecessarily and we should all be fine.

Keep up the good work =)

Best,

Andre