freetds - RE: Roadmap to 0.54?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Roadmap to 0.54?
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:41:33 -0400

I'll answer that, only to save Brian some typing.

Once Brian is done with Bill's patch, I think a release is the next logical
step. There are bound to be some nits and wrinkles immediately ahead,
though, because a lot of new code has gone in recently. We should give
people some time to try it out before we call the current snapshot a release
candidate.

Brian suggested the next release be 0.60, so that's probably how we should
think of it.

I have a goofy notion that we should count the remaining unimplemented API
functions, subtract that number (divided by 100) from 1.0, and number the
releases that way from here on out. So, if there are 35 functions still to
do, we're at 0.65. I like the idea of a countdown, and it would give
people, on this list and off, a measure of the status.

We have a few small chores to do, too. We should solve the MAXPATHLEN
autoconf (?) problem. I could add an #ifndef, but I'm hoping for an
intelligent answer. I'm looking at using the sourceforge build farm to help
flush out architecture gotchas. Brian always puts together a release notice
to describe what's changed; to make that easier, it would be nice if someone
could compile a list of changes since 0.53.

Also, there were a few minor bug reports recently that I think should be
fixable. Which reminds me. I'd like to change the UG and FAQ such that
they suggest putting bug/problem reports (and patches) on sourceforge, with
mail to the list as notification/amplification. I think the sf database
would be easier to work from than scanning and rescanning my email. How do
others feel about that?

Anyone see any reason we couldn't have a release ready in June?