freetds - Re: I've completed some code , what do I do now ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT fax.sno.cpqcorp.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I've completed some code , what do I do now ?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:34:22 +1100

Bill Thompson wrote:
> 2) firewall - I think I'm on a loser here. even if I could get the
> policy changed, I think I'd lose the will to live before I could get it
> implemented :-(

I'll leave that one with you. Technically though, all that is needed is
a connection to port 22 at the CVS server end. Your choices are to
either find that you can do it already, change the firewall, find a
protocol you can use to tunnel over (with approval!), or use a dial-up
connection to an ISP.

> 3) I think the best (and certainly the simplest from my point of view)
> solution is to give someone my changes to check in on my behalf.... Now
> all I have to do is find a suitable volunteer...

I'll do it, if you follow certain pre-requisites to make it easier;

(a) generate a unified context diff against the latest snapshot, making
sure to include the changes to the ChangeLog file,

(b) forward it to me as an attachment in mail.

I'll acknowledge it, attempt to apply it, and give you feedback. Your
changes should then appear in the next snapshot after I apply it.
Remember that I work in the Australian outback, so consider the timing.

To generate the unified context diff, unpack the snapshot into a
directory other than your development directory (WARNING: it unpacks
with a subdirectory name of freetds, so it is quite easy for you to
destroy your current development tree if you also named it freetds) then
do a recursive diff between the directories;

% rm -rf freetds-snapshot
% mkdir freetds-snapshot-tmp
% cd freetds-snapshot-tmp
% tar xvfz ../freetds-current.tgz
% mv freetds ../freetds-snapshot
% cd ..
% rmdir freetds-snapshot-tmp
% diff -r -u freetds-snapshot freetds-mine > freetds.patch

This assumed your development tree was called freetds-mine.

--
James Cameron (james.cameron AT compaq.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/ (or) http://quozl.netrek.org/