freetds - Re: I've completed some code , what do I do now ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT fax.sno.cpqcorp.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I've completed some code , what do I do now ?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:53:05 +1100

Bill Thompson wrote:
> Will I need to download a copy of this CVS thingy in order to get this
> process working ?

Yes.

You may already have a version of CVS available to you. I don't recall
what operating system or distribution you are using, but most UNIX or
Linux distributions include CVS on the media. If you haven't got it, it
is easy to download an install on most platforms. Tell me what you
have?

> If so, will this work from behind my corporate firewall ?

That's a question for your firewall people. If the policy is to deny
everything unless specifically enabled, the probability is 'No'. What
you need to be able to do is connect to port 22 on the SourceForge CVS
server
cvs.freetds.sourceforge.net. To test this, try using TELNET to that
port from your inside machine. If you get a connection accepted
message, chances are you can proceed. If you do not, then seek internal
help. (Just disconnect if you do get connected; TELNET is a simple
method of testing connectivity but won't function with an SSH server.)

If you don't think you can get the firewall policy changed then your
remaining method of contributing is to download the snapshots, merge
them manually with your changes, and issue a unified context diff to
another developer to apply on your behalf. Been there, for years, until
we got the business case settled to have the policy changed.

> Is there an idiots guide to what else I have to do anywhere ?

Never seen one. We're it. ;-)

--
James Cameron (james.cameron AT compaq.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/ (or) http://quozl.netrek.org/