freetds - Re: GNU auto-stuff

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: GNU auto-stuff
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:34:10 -0600

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 10:54:05PM -0500, Brian Bruns wrote:

> I'm open to Steve's (?) suggestion in the other post about an autogen.sh
> if someone wants to check one in...I'm too lazy at the moment. :-)

:)

> By the way, I've been thinking of redo'ing the website for the 0.53
> release...and wanted some opinions about the ethics of a couple of things
> and what other projects do.

> The first is that there is a need for some things for the project.
> Currently, I'm running a donated copy of SQL Server 7 (thank you) on a
> Win2K laptop from my work. I'd like to (as previously discussed here),
> run this in a vmware session on my primary development box, optionally
> giving access to other developers who need a SQL Server to test against.
> So, VMWare + Win2K Server + SQL Server 2000 is quite a bit of money. But
> it would allow for an easier time finishing up support TDS 8 and domains
> among other things.

> So my thought is to have a 'Contributions' sections for those users of
> FreeTDS who would like to contribute monetarily. Maybe a paypal account
> or something like that. So, question is, how do other projects handle
> this sort of stuff and what is really required in the way of
> accountability. I know some larger projects (FSF, XFree, Debian) have
> non-profit status but that is just too much red tape for our little thing.

SPI (Software in the Public Interest) is a non-profit; Debian doesn't
have much status at all as a legal entity. :) And SPI is once again
moving after several years of dormancy, so you might be able to talk to
them about acting as an umbrella org for donations.

> Second thing, I've done some paid programming on freetds for folks or
> small consulting jobs involving setting it up, etc... I'd like to get
> peoples impressions on whether it'd be appropriate to put in a (small)
> link off to a page detailing that type of thing. (This being a .org site
> and all).

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the website to solicit
sponsors of open source development. The more people are willing to pay
you to do development, the fewer bugs there are for me to worry about,
right? ;)

Free Software and making a living should not have to be mutually
exclusive.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer