freetds - Re: GNU auto-stuff

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: GNU auto-stuff
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:54:05 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, James Cameron wrote:

> Peter Harvey wrote:
> > NOTE: All of the files generated by Makefile.cvs should probably NOT be
> > in cvs.
>
> Yes, I've mentioned that. Most other projects avoid putting any such
> files into CVS, thus requiring people who use CVS to download the
> package to have a current set of tools.
>
> However, this project decided to place the files into CVS because:
>
> - the CVS download method is the most frequently suggested to solve
> problems, and
>
> - that answering questions about the versions of the tools required
> would be a waste of time.
>
> If this project were a democracy, I'd urge for a vote on which way to
> go, and would vote for removal of generated files. But I say this
> project is a benevolent dictatorship, and that Brian Bruns is doing
> quite an excellent job, and we can easily cope with the complexity of
> generated files in CVS at this time. ;-)

Never thought of myself as the benevolent dictator type, I just do most of
the coding (he with the most code wins!). But, thanks for the vote of
confidence. I imagine there will be a day when we are ready to remove
configure, libtool, and all the Makefile/Makefile.in's from CVS but as you
said, as long as I keep pointing people to CVS on a regular basis, this is
it. Especially on platforms that don't come native with much gnu stuff
(*cough* AIX *cough*).

> In the meanwhile, someone with CVS access has to have the official job
> of regenerating configure and so on prior to release. I'm expected that
> is Brian.

Technically, it just sorta happens on its own ;-) At least I haven't been
bit by it yet.

I'm open to Steve's (?) suggestion in the other post about an autogen.sh
if someone wants to check one in...I'm too lazy at the moment. :-)

By the way, I've been thinking of redo'ing the website for the 0.53
release...and wanted some opinions about the ethics of a couple of things
and what other projects do.

The first is that there is a need for some things for the project.
Currently, I'm running a donated copy of SQL Server 7 (thank you) on a
Win2K laptop from my work. I'd like to (as previously discussed here),
run this in a vmware session on my primary development box, optionally
giving access to other developers who need a SQL Server to test against.
So, VMWare + Win2K Server + SQL Server 2000 is quite a bit of money. But
it would allow for an easier time finishing up support TDS 8 and domains
among other things.

So my thought is to have a 'Contributions' sections for those users of
FreeTDS who would like to contribute monetarily. Maybe a paypal account
or something like that. So, question is, how do other projects handle
this sort of stuff and what is really required in the way of
accountability. I know some larger projects (FSF, XFree, Debian) have
non-profit status but that is just too much red tape for our little thing.

Second thing, I've done some paid programming on freetds for folks or
small consulting jobs involving setting it up, etc... I'd like to get
peoples impressions on whether it'd be appropriate to put in a (small)
link off to a page detailing that type of thing. (This being a .org site
and all).

Brian