freetds - GNU auto-stuff

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Harvey <pharvey AT codebydesign.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: GNU auto-stuff
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:27:37 -0800

As I said earlier... unixODBC has been working through some of these GNU
auto-stuff issues ('auto-stuff' is my term for the whole mix).

So far we are using the following versions...

autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
automake-1.5.tar.gz
libtool-1.4.2.tar.gz
m4-1.4.tar.gz

This has always resulted, so far, in a requirement to upgrade to one of these
packages... of course that depends upon your distro. Do not forget to
actually replace your existing version by specifying the prefix on configure.
For example; "./configure --prefix=/usr".

Anyway; we seem to be making some progress but we are not done yet. I mention
this because it would be nice to have FreeTDS and unixODBC in synch with this
GNU auto-stuff.

This could even apply to the use of a "make -f Makefile.cvs" step. The
unixODBC Makefile.cvs just does this...

cvs:
@echo "*** Retrieving configure tests needed by configure.in"
@aclocal
@echo "*** Building Makefile templates (step one)"
@automake
@echo "*** Building Makefile templates (step two)"
@autoconf
@echo "*** Finished"
@echo " Don't forget to run ./configure"
@echo " If you haven't done so in a while, run ./configure --help"

NOTE: All of the files generated by Makefile.cvs should probably NOT be in
cvs.

--
Peter