freetds - Re: set textsize 1048576 fails

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: set textsize 1048576 fails
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:08:29 -0800

I think the idea was that the return value should only reflect whether
the call worked, and the side effect of setting restype (in this case)
is what you really need to look at to see what happened on the server
side. This was probably done so to get a consistent API, and to be
able to support various types of OpenServers, etc.

Remember that the *original* aim of Client Library was to be a
foundation library (kind of like libtds for FreeTDS), not an end-user
library...

I'm not sure when (or why) that target changed, though.

Michael

Brian Bruns writes:

> <rant> The problem with ctlib is that it often doesn't reflect what
> happens at the protocol level like dblib does </rant>
>
> Not that the protocol and API necessarily have to agree, but it seems a
> bit pointless.
>
> Thanks Michael.
>
> Brian
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Michael Peppler wrote:
>
> > I just ran this with the Sybase libs:
> >
> > use Sybase::CTlib;
> >
> > my $dbh = new Sybase::CTlib 'sa', '';
> >
> > $dbh->ct_execute("set textsize 10000");
> > while(($ret = $dbh->ct_results($restype)) == CS_SUCCEED) {
> > print "$ret, $restype\n";
> > }
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > troll (7:23AM):144 > perl ~/tmp/res.pl
> > 1, 4047
> > 1, 4046
> >
> > So that's two calls with ct_results() returning CS_SUCCEED, with
> > CS_CMD_SUCCEED and CS_CMD_DONE returned for the restype value.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > Brian Bruns writes:
> > > Ok,
> > >
> > > found out what is going on...whether it is correct (from a freetds
> > > standpoint) is another question.
> > >
> > > Whenever a query is issued that returns no results, ct_results()
> > returns
> > > CS_END_RESULTS on first invocation. CS_END_RESULTS != CS_SUCCEED, so
> > PHP
> > > gives up and disconnects.
> > >
> > > Question is, should the first invocation return CS_END_RESULTS, or
> > should
> > > it return CS_SUCCEED the first time, follow subsequently by
> > > CS_END_RESULTS....
> > >
> > > Brian

> > curiousity
> > instead

> > configure in
> > has
> > Not
> > > >

> > > ---
> > > You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [mpeppler AT peppler.org]
> > > To unsubscribe, forward this message to $subst('Email.Unsub')
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [mpeppler AT peppler.org]

mpeppler AT peppler.org - mpeppler AT mbay.net